- Automation Controllers(PAC)
- Data Acquisition and IO
- Digital Signage
- Embedded Compact Box Computers (ARK)
- Industrial Ethernet Serial Networking
- Industrial Motherboards
- Mobile Computing
- Panel PC
- Video Acquisition
Category: PCI-bus Cards
PCI-Bus Cards: Understanding the Technology, Benefits, and Applications
PCI-Bus cards are electronic expansion cards designed to connect peripheral devices to a computer’s motherboard via a PCI (Peripheral Component Interconnect) bus. They offer a high-speed and reliable interface for enhancing the functionality of desktops, workstations, and servers, making them popular within industries such as medical, gaming, and telecommunications.
This article provides an overview of the benefits, their applications, and key considerations when selecting the right card.
1. Expandability – PCI-Bus cards allow you to add new features and capabilities to your computer system without having to purchase an entirely new system. This makes a cost-effective solution for adding more ports, storage, or networking capabilities to your machine.
2. High-Speed Connectivity – PCI Bus cards provide a fast and stable connection for transferring data between the motherboard and peripheral devices, ensuring seamless performance even with devices that require significant bandwidth.
3. Improved System Performance – PCI Bus cards can help improve the overall performance of your computer system by offloading certain tasks from the CPU, allowing it to focus on other critical functions.
4. Versatility – With various types of PCI Bus cards available, including audio, video, storage, and networking, users can customize their computers to suit specific needs.
Applications of PCI-Bus Cards:
1. Medical Applications – PCI-Bus cards are commonly used in medical applications for data acquisition, control, and analysis. Examples include ECG machines, patient monitoring systems, and MRI equipment.
2. Gaming and Entertainment – PCI-Bus cards are also popular in gaming and entertainment systems. Graphics cards, sound cards, and TV tuner cards can all be added via the PCI-Bus for an enhanced gaming and multimedia experience.
3. Networking – PCI Bus cards are extensively used for networking tasks such as adding Ethernet or Wi-Fi connectivity to a computer system.
Considerations when selecting a PCI-Bus Card:
1. PCI vs PCIe – It’s important to consider whether to use a PCI or PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express) card compatibility with your motherboard. PCIe is faster than PCI but may not be supported by older motherboards.
2. Type of Card – Different cards serve various functions, so it’s essential to select a card that meets your specific requirements. For instance, if you need better audio quality, choose a sound card, while a storage card is suitable for expanding storage capacity.
3. Compatibility – Before purchasing one, ensure that it is compatible with your computer’s operating system and driver software.
In conclusion, PCI-Bus cards provide a flexible and cost-effective way to enhance the functionality of your computer system. By considering the type of card, compatibility, and other factors, you can select the right PCI-Bus card and enjoy superior performance and functionality in your system.
Showing all 6 results
PCI-1625 – 8-Port Intelligent RS-232 Card365,00 € Excl. VATAdd to cart
√RISC processor (TMS320)
√1 MB SRAM
√PCI Specification 2.2 compliant
√Speed up to 921.6 kbps
√I/O address automatically assigned by PCI Plug &Play
√OS supported: Windows 2000/XP
√Powerful and easy to use utility (ICOM tools)
√Link with OPT8FP peripherals up to 1200m (4000ft) from controller (RS-422)
√Universal PCI (Supports 3.3 V or 5 V PCI bus signal)
PCI-1733 – 32Ch.Isolated DI Card PCI BUS149,00 € Excl. VATAdd to cart
Features PCI-1733 :
• 32 isolated, bidirectional digital input
• High-voltage isolation (2,500 V DC)
• Interrupt capacity
• D-type connectors for isolated input
• Reverse voltage protection for isolated
(up to 24 VDC)
PCI-1737U – 24 Channel TTL Digital I/O Card93,00 € Excl. VATAdd to cart
Features PCI-1737U :
√24 TTL digital I/O channels
√Emulates mode 0 of 8255 PPI
√Opto-22 compatible 50-pin connectors
√Output status readback
√PCI universal card
√Channels 24 (shared with output)
√Compatibility 5 V/TTL
√Input Voltage Logic 0: 0.8 V max.
√Logic 1: 2.0 V min.
√Interrupt Capable Ch. 1
√Channels 24 (shared with input)
√Compatibility 5 V/TTL
√Output Voltage Logic 0: 0.4 V max.
√Logic 1: 2.4 V min.
√Output Capability Sink: 0.4 V max. @ 24 mA
√Source: 2.4 V min. @ 15 mA
√Bus Type PCI-1737: Universal PCI V2.2
√I/O Connectors 50-pin male ribbon-cable connector
√Dimensions (L x H) 175 x 100 mm (6.9″ x 3.9″)
√Power Consumption Max: +5 V @ 294.9 mA
√Operating Temperature 0 ~ 65° C (32 ~ 149° F)
√Storing Temperature -25 ~ 80° C (-13 ~ 176° F)
√Storing Humidity 5 ~ 95% RH, non-condensing (refer to IEC 68-2-3)
PCI-1753 – 96bit Digital I/O Card PCI BUS177,00 € Excl. VATAdd to cart
Features PCI-1753 :
• 96/192 TTL digital I/O lines
• Emulates mode 0 of 8255 PPI
• Buffered circuits for higher driving capacity than 8255
• Multiple-source interrupt handling
• Interrupt output pin for simultaneously triggering external
devices with the interrupt
• Output status read-back
• “Pattern match” and “Change of state” interrupt functions for
critical I/O monitoring
• Keeps I/O setting and digital output values when hot system
• Supports dry contact and wet contact
• High-density 100-pin SCSI connector
Introduction PCI-1753 :
The PCI-1753 is a 96-bit digital I/O card for the PCI bus, which can be
extended to 192 digital I/O channels by connecting with its extension
board, PCI-1753E. The card emulates mode 0 of the 8255 PPI chip,
but the buffered circuits offer a higher driving capability than the 8255.
The 96 I/O lines are divided into twelve 8-bit I/O ports: A0, B0, C0, A1,
B1, C1, A2, B2, C2, A3, B3 and C3. Users can configure each port as
input or output via software.
Easy to Install: Plug and Play
The PCI-1753 uses a PCI controller to interface the card to the PCI bus.
The controller fully implements the PCI bus specification Rev 2.1. All
bus relative configurations, such as base address and interrupt
assignment, are automatically controlled by software.
Dry Contact Support for Digital Input
Each digital input channel of the PCI-1753/1753E accepts either 0 ~ 5
VDC wet contact or dry contact inputs. This dry contact capability allows
the channel to respond to changes in external circuitry (e.g., the closing
of a switch in the external circuitry) when no voltage is present in the
Reset Protection Fulfills the True Requirement of Industrial
When the system is hot reset (the power is not turned off), the
PCI-1753/1753E can either retain the value of the last I/O port settings
and outputs, or return to its default configuration, depending on the
jumper setting. This function protects the system from wrong operations
during unexpected system resets.
Interrupt Functions Ensure Faster System Response
Two lines of each port C (i.e., ports C0, C1, C2 and C3) are connected
to an interrupt circuit. The “Interrupt Control Register” of the
PCI-1753/PCI-1753E controls how these signals generate an interrupt.
Two interrupt request signals can be generated at the same time, and
then the software can process these two request signals by ISR. The
dual interrupt sources provide the card with more capability and flexibility.
The PCI-1753/1753E also provides “Pattern Match” interrupt function
for port A0. The card monitors the states of port A0 and compares
them with a pre-set pattern. When the received state matches the preset pattern, the PCI-1753/1753E generates an interrupt signal to the
“Change of State” interrupt function is provided at port B0. When any
signal line of port B0 changes its state, the card generates an interrupt
to the system to handle this event.
These interrupt functions release the CPU from the burden of pulling all
I/O points, enabling a PC to handle more I/O points with higher
Cost Savings for Increasing the Number of Input/Output Lines
Industrial users are needing more and more digital I/O lines to transmit
data or to monitor/control outside devices. To meet this trend and to
satisfy user’s budget considerations, Advantech has developed an
extension board for the PCI-1753 called the PCI-1753E. The PCI1753E has almost the same structure as the PCI-1753, without the
interface controller. It shares PCI-1753’s interface controller through a
10-cm flat cable connection, so users can spend less money while
doubling the number of input/output lines.
Accessories for PCI-1753/1753E
The PCI-1753/1753E uses a 100-pin SCSI female connector. For easy
signal wiring, a PCI-1753 can be connected to two ADAM-3968s by a
100-pin to 2×68-pin SCSI cable (part number PCL-10268). The
ADAM-3968 allows easy access for wiring the individual pins of a
68-pin SCSI connector. An ADAM-3968/50 adapter board converts the
68-pin connector to two opto-22 compatible 50-pin box headers
for connecting the PCI-1753/1753E to daughterboards, such as
PCLD-782B and PCLD-785B.
PCI-1757UP – 24bit ttl Digital I/O Card Low Profile PCI BUS Card119,00 € Excl. VATAdd to cart
Features PCI-1757UP :
• Low profile PCI card PCI-1757UP
• Universal PCI card, adapt 3.3V and 5V PCI slot
• 24 TTL level digital I/O lines
• Emulates mode 0 of 8255 PPI
• Buffered circuits provide higher driving capability
• Output status read-back
• I/O configurable by software or on board DIP switch
• Keeps port I/O settings and digital output states after hot reset
• Board ID set by DIP switch
• High density D-SUB 25-pin connector
The PCI-1757UP is a 24-bit DI/O 1low profile PCI card. It meets the PCI
standard REV.2.2 (universal PCI expansion card), and works with both
3.3V and 5V PCI slot. It provides users with 24 bits of parallel digital
input/output, emulates mode 0 of the 8255 PPI chip, but the buffered
circuits offer a higher driving capability than the 8255.
Specifications PCI-1757UP :
• Logic High Voltage: 2.0 to 5.25 V
• Logic Low Voltage: 0.0 to 0.80 V
• High Level Input Current: 20 mA
• Low Level Input Current: -0.2 mA
• Logic High Voltage: 2.4 V minimum
• Logic Low Voltage: 0.4 V maximum
• High Level Input Current: 15 mA maximum (source)
• Low Level Input Current: 24 mA maximum (sink)
• Driving Capability: 15 LS TTL
• PC0, PC4
• Connector: one D-SUB 25-pin female connector
• Power Consumption: 5 V @ 140 mA (Typical)
• Operating Temperature: 0 ~ 70° C (32° F ~ 158° F)
• Storage Temperature: -20 ~ 80° C (-4° F ~ 176° F)
• Humidity: 5% ~ 95% non-condensing
• Dimension: 119.91 x 64.41 mm (4.721″ x 2.536″) Low profile PCI
MD1 card size
24-channel Digital Input/Output Card
DB-25 wiring terminal for DIN-rail mounting
PCI-1763UP – 8 Channel Relay & 8 Channel Isolated DI Card212,00 € Excl. VATAdd to cart
√8 relay output channels and 8 isolated digital input channels
√LED indicators to show activated relays
√8 Form C type relay output channels
√Output status read-back
√Retained relay output values when hot system reset
√High-voltage isolation on input channels (2,500 VDC)
√High ESD protection (2,000 VDC)
√High over-voltage protection (70 VDC)
√Wide input range (10 ~ 50 VDC)
√Interrupt handling capability
√Support Universal PCI Bus
√Low Profile PCI card
√BoardID™ switch PCI-1763UP
PCI-1763UP relay actuator and isolated digital input card is an add-on card for the PCI bus. It provides 8 optically-isolated digital inputs with isolation protection of 2500 VDC for
collecting digital inputs in noisy environments, and 8 relay actuators for serving as on/off control devices or small power switches. For easy monitoring, each relay is equipped with
one red LED to show its on/off status. PCI-1763UP’s eight optically-isolated digital input channels are ideal for digital input in noisy environments or with floating potentials. The low
profile PCI form factor and universal PCI connector (V2.2 compliant), meet requirements for size and reduced power consumption.
Isolated Digital Input
Input Voltage Logic 0: 3 V max.
Logic 1: 10 V min. (50 V max.)
Input Current 3.16 mA @ 10 VDC
17.3 mA @ 50 VDC
Interrupt Capable Ch. 8
Isolation Protection 2,500 VDC
Overvoltage Protection 70 VDC
Opto-isolator Response 25 µs
Input Resistance 2.8 KΩ
Relay Type DPDT, Form C
Contact Rating 240 VAC @ 0.25 A, or 30 VDC @ 1 A
Relay on Time 5 ms max.
Relay off Time 4 ms max.
Life Span 1 x 10^7 @ 6 V/100 mA
Resistance Contact: < 50 mΩ
Insulation: 1 GΩ min. (at 500 VDC)
I/O Connector Type DB44 female
Dimensions 119.91 x 64.41 mm (Low-Profile MD1)
Power Consumption +5V @ 107.5 mA (typical)
+5V @ 301.3 mA (max.)
Operating Temperature 0 ~ 60° C (32 ~ 140° F) (refer to IEC 68-2-1,2)
Storing Temperature -20 ~ 70° C (-4 ~158° F)
Storing Humidity 5 ~ 95 % RH, non-condensing (refer to IEC 68-2-3)
PCI-1763UP Low-profile 8-ch Relay/Isolated DI Card
PCL-10144-1 DB 44-pin cable, 1 m
ADAM-3944 DB-44 Wiring Terminal for DIN-rail mounting